What To Do If Your Landlord Won’t Make Repairs – Home Damage & Disrepair Claims

What To Do If Your Landlord Won’t Make Repairs

Identify the housing disrepair problem

As a tenant whether you are renting from a private landlord, council housing or social housing association, you have the right to live in a safe and well-maintained and habitable property. If your rented property has fallen into disrepair, you have to report it to your landlord.

What counts as disrepair?

    • Mould/damp
    • Pest infestation
    • Broken boiler/heater
    • Broken electric appliances
    • Water damages/ leaks/ flooding etc

Contact your landlord about repairs

Landlords will do repairs, only if they are aware of them. Tell your landlord as soon as you come across a disrepair at your rented property. You can call or email them to notify them. We advise sending an email and keep it as proof of making contact. Give your landlord a reasonable amount of time to respond and do the work.

Collect evidence of disrepair

Take photos or videos of the damages. When contacting your landlord it’s good to attach photos of the disrepairs so they are aware of the severity of the problem. Keep copies of the photos/videos and correspondence between you and the landlord (texts, emails, letters). If you had to replace any items in the property keep the receipts and the damaged items for proof. If you had to call in an expert to identify the problem, keep a record of the expert’s report and any copies of medical reports if you were injured or made ill because of the disrepair.

Send a letter before action to your landlord

If you have been trying to get your landlord to do repairs at your rented property, but all your efforts are refused, if you have given your landlord plenty of time to respond to your enquiries but you are being ignored, then write a letter before action and send it to your landlord. In this letter you should explain the problem, give details of your attempts to communicate with the landlord and the responses you have received and state that you intend to take court action if they don’t complete repairs within a given deadline, for example within 20 days.

Start a court action

Once the deadline in your letter has passed and your landlord hasn’t made any effort to reach an agreement, you can take legal action. You can appoint a solicitor to help you make a claim against your landlord. The court could order the landlord to do repairs and pay you compensation.